10 New Professional Habits to Develop in 2016
Don’t let all of your New Year’s resolutions get kicked to the curb – develop these 10 professional habits in 2016 and make this the best year yet!
1. Increase Your Verbal Communication
- You can significantly improve relationships with fellow colleagues just by walking over to their desk and having a face-to-face conversation rather than relying on impersonal emails.
2. Start a Career Journal
- Each time you think of a new idea, find inspiration, or meet a really great individual-write it down. The next time you need inspiration you’ll know exactly where to look.
3. Step out of Your Comfort Zonee
- It’s the only way we learn to grow both personally and professionally.
4. Seek to Understand Before You React
- Active listening is a valuable skill that can take you far.
5. Look at Obstacles as Opportunities
- It will change the way you think about work, your career, and your life.
6. Spend Time with People that Inspire You
- Surround yourself with confidence, inspiration, and a professional support system.
7. See the Value in Every Detail
- Make a habit of finding value in every detail. Every small action is one step closer to your larger goals.
8. Be Authentic
- Be as honest as you can with yourself and others about what you want and why you do what you do.
9. Optimize Your Learning
- Use every opportunity to learn something new. Get involved, ask questions, read, and engage in conversation.
10. Maintain a Positive Attitude
- Choosing to be positive makes life enjoyable. Positivity encourages others, promotes a good reputation, and ultimately sets you up for success.